Friday, May 22, 2009

Bye Bye Birdie

Early Sunday morning, I was on the computer and heard these little tapping noises on my front door. When I opened the door, 2 birds flew away, but not too far, and they started chirping at me (they were ticked off). I looked up and saw how busy they had been building a nest on top of my wreath. (Keep in mind there was no nest Saturday night). They had been very busy.
As much as I like birds, and hearing them chirp in the mornings, I couldn't leave there nest there. I wouldn't be able to use my front door until they laid their eggs, hatched and then the babies were old enough to fly away. Then you have the mess of poop and feathers all over my front porch. Not gonna happen!

So we took it down, and while I was up in my bathroom getting ready for church, those two birds flew around my house for at least an hour chirping the whole time, letting us know they weren't happy, and trying to find their home I just got rid of.
Hopefully they have made a new home for their babies, and all is well. But, I don't dare put my wreath back up until I'm sure...I still see them in my yard daily picking stuff out of my grass.

This happened to us once before, we left our Christmas wreathes (that were out by our garage) up too long. By the time we noticed there was a nest, there were baby bird eggs in them. So we had to leave them up, until the baby birds grew up and flew away.


4 comments:

Jamielyn said...

I think it is something about our neighborhood because the more I talk to people the more I hear about bird nests in like every tree! A tree is one thing...but not the front door in a wreath!

Jennettehogan said...

That is funny that they like to build nests on your wreaths! You heard my bird story earlier on facebook - these birds are crazy!!

Kimberly said...

I had a bird do the same thing on my door wreath. I took it down before there were any baby eggs in it. Crazy how they will build them anywhere!

We can do hard things! said...

That is too dand funny! It's because there are no trees around there. Poor birds...