Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remembering my Grandpa's

I am so blessed to have such amazing grandparents, and although my grandpa's have passed on and are in a better place, I think of them often. But it is this time of year when families visit the graves and we remember all of the good things about their life, it makes me miss them that much more.

I am fortunate that not only was I able to have my grandparents around while growing up, but my children were able to get to know their great grandparents as well.

This is my grandpa Penrod. One thing that I will always remember about him is his laugh. It was a laugh that was contagious, happy and warm. He was positive, and well liked by his family and community. He was a giving man. I remember all I had to do was play on my guitar and sing one of his favorite songs and out would come a $100.00 dollar bill. He would say it made his day and wanted to give me a little something special.
He was a very hard worker. He was a successful dairy farmer, but it rings true what was said at his funeral, that "His greatest happiness came from raising His favorite crop, His Family".
He had many interests and talents, and one that comes to mind was learning to ski. He and my grandma around the ages of 68 took on skiing for the first time at Sundance. They loved it so much and went skiing until the age of 74'ish. They went often enough and were noticed because of their age, that most that worked there at the time knew my grandparents personally, even Robert Redford.

I am so thankful for all of my wonderful memories of him, and how he helped mold me into who I am today.
Grandpa and Grandma Penrod's Posterity:
9 Children
40 Grandchildren
50 Great-Grandchildren and counting

 

 
Posted by Picasa


This is my grandpa Rasmussen. One thing that I will always remember about him were his talents. He was an excellent mechanic and could fix almost everything. He was a World War II Honoree, and used his mechanic skills on the airplanes. In fact one story that I loved listening to was when his airplane went down and he parachuted into the ocean. He was in the ocean by him self for 24 hours, he said every little wave looked like a sharks fin and was never so grateful to be rescued.
Another talent he had was he was a great craftsman. His garage was filled with all kinds of tools to make things with. I am lucky enough to have a shelf that he made for me in my home.
The talent that gives me the most memories is his gift of singing. He loved to sing. My dad, his brothers, and my grandpa formed a quartet. They sang on many occasions, weddings, funerals, sacrament meetings, they were even invited to sing for "Margret Hulahan, on MASH" for her birthday one year. Each Sunday we would go to my grandparents house and they would practice. While they practiced, us cousins had fun playing together, and listening to them sing.
Another memory of him is every Christmas he would wear one red sock, and one green sock...then he would say "I have another pair just like them at home".
He was a hard worker, and he loved the out doors.
His family was most important to him. He gave me many wonderful memories that I will always cherish, and I am a better person because of him.
Grandpa & Grandma Rasmussen's Posterity:
6 Children
32 Grandchildren
30 Great-Grandchildren and counting

 

2 comments:

katierasmussen said...

Ranae what a beautiful post about your grandpas!!! I wish I could have known them better, but from what I knew, I loved!

erika said...

so glad that families are forever.